Friday, September 08, 2006

YOU WILL BE MISSED IKE...



Hard day for me yesterday. I had no choice according to my vet to let him go. Marcus carried him in yesterday morning, and we thought that he had eaten something outside that did not agree with him. The vet even called me mid afternoon to tell me that all the test he had ran on Ike came back fine, except for his white blood cells, but said that he would give him some antibiotics along with the drip for dehydration and he would be fine. Ike took a turn for the worse about an hour after the vet had called to give me the test results, and they carried him into surgery to see why he was spitting up blood and when he called me back, he told me that he did not need to wake up from the surgery.

His intestines were twisted, and the blood could not flow, so therefore it killed his intestines. The vet says that the only way for his intestines to get that twisted is for something tramatic to have happened to make him roll. He had him in surgery and says that he saw no signs of him being hit by a car, and only found one spot on him that had a bruise. We have racked our brains trying to figure this out. The time frame for this to have taken place is only about 24-36 hours the vet says. He says that there is absolutely nothing that can be done in a situation like this, especially since Ike had 5 inches of his intestines taken out when he was five months old.

I had the hard task of telling Marcus when he came home this morning at 0200 from work that his Ike did not make it. Not an easy thing to do, especially to someone who loves his dogs as much as Marcus does.

It sure is easy to get so attached your animals. All of our animals are treated just like one of our kids.

15 comments:

Rachelle Jones said...

Darlin;

Oh how I am so sorry to hear of this...

Some Soldier's Mom said...

Condolences to you and Marcus... I know how much our pets mean to us all... You'd think we'd learn and not get any more after things like this, but they give such unconditional love and devotion...

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry to hear about Ike. I am crying now just thinking about what he must have gone through. My heart goes out to you and Marcus. You will be in my prayers. Give Henry a scratch on the head for me...I know he misses his brother too. I am here if you need anything.

Call Me Grandma said...

I am so sorry Stacy. Our pets are a part of our family. I know how you feel. You both have my heartfelt sympathy.

Melinda said...

Oh, I'm SO very sorry, Stacy! What a beautiful guy. Our deepest sympathies to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. It's so hard to lose a member of the family, I know. All our critters are family too.

Patricia said...

awwwwww so sorry Stacy... its hard to lose a pet, they so easily become our kids!

Patricia

The One (I know how to be) said...

I am so sorry to hear about Ike. My heart and prayers are with you and Markus. I understand the love you have for your pets. I recall a few stories you have told me. The pics I have of the beautiful boy are precious.
My lil' Dude said to tell you he is sorry as well.
Hugggs to you and Markus.

LoveMyTanker said...

My thoughts are with you as I know how hard it is myself! Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. If it's okay with you, I'd like to dedicate this weekend's Carnival of the Dogs to Ike. He sounds like he was a wonderful pup and very loved :)

kbug said...

I'm so sorry about Ike. We had to have our Bear put to sleep last year...he had gotten old and feeble and could hardly get around anymore. He had been a part of our family for 13 wonderful years and had grown up with my boys. I held his head in my lap until the very end...and cried for a long time afterwards...it was so very hard. We haven't gotten another dog and don't know if we'll ever be able to. He was one of a kind...as I'm sure your Ike was, also. My heart goes out to you and Marcus.

Headmistress, zookeeper said...

I'm here from the Dog Carnival to express my sympathies.
We are just facing the reality that our oldest dog (we've had her ten years, and she was probably three or four when we brought her home from the shelter) will have to be put down soon.
I'm very sorry.

Katy said...

Oh love, I am so sorry. My Tanner is going to be ten soon and I get choked up at the thought..... I am sorry for your loss.

Nicki said...

Ike was a beautiful dog. I had a German Sheperd as a teen named Mac and he was my world. He was poisoned one day while I was away during my first year of college. The vet said basically the same thing, that there was nothing anybody could do. It broke my heart.

I know it's been a while since this was posted, but it touched me. God bless you two, it sounds like Ike had some wonderful owners.



2996


Soldiers Angels


Centcom


Flame of Life


Aleksandr V. Ivantsov